- Moved to using HTTPS throughout the entire site.
- Removed CardSpace support.
This is the first code update in a while... New in this release:
- Moved all code repositories to Git. These can be browsed via GitHub .
- Updated Download module and Links section to reflect new locations for all resources.
- Updated the site to Maven 3. There was some significant bitrot in the codebase that needed to be cleared up to get this working.
Other upcoming changes include:
- Move from deployment as a Tomcat WAR file to a standalone app embedding Jetty. This should result in faster restart times and decreased resource utilization.
- Remove CardSpace support as it has been deprecated by Microsoft for some time now and never really gained wide adoption.
- Update libraries to more current versions. For example, update to Spring 3.2 (using 2.0 currently).
- Move to using HTTPS throughout the entire site.
You may or may not have noticed a redirect on this site to http://randomcoder.org/. This domain has recently become available, and since the focus of this site is very much community-oriented, a .org seemed more appropriate than a .com.
Added feeds to the website. At some point, I'll add RSS 1.0/2.0 feeds and tag-specific feeds, but for now the only choice is the main feed in Atom format.
Let me know if you run into any problems with the feed.
Updated the download manager to query a local version of the Maven repository. This avoids periodic polling of the web server to read metadata, which was causing a lot of unnecessary traffic.
Comment moderation has now been enabled (both manual and through Akismet).
Hopefully this will put a stop to the comment spam. Tip: Post your comments as a logged-in user. This lets them show up right away (although they will still be processed by Akismet after a few minutes).
Update: It looks like I failed to set some database permissions properly, and adding new comments was failing. I thought it seemed a little too quiet around here...
The latest version of the site is now up and running.
The only major change in this version is the new Download page ( update: removed in favor of BinTray ). Download pages are always a pain to write, as the content on them changes fairly often. This version dynamically queries sources on the fly (and caches them) so it shouldn't require any manual updates.
As always, feedback is appreciated.
The latest batch of changes is up. Read more for details.
Just a quick update... Even though I haven't posted anything to the site recently, development has been proceeding along.
Unfortunately, it looks as though the next update to the site is going to be delayed just a little bit longer due to the need for some comment spam handling. I made the mistake of assuming that this site was small enough to allow open posting. Currently, I'm looking at several options:
- Forcing logins to post
- Comment filtering
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Another site update. There are several minor changes, and one big one: comment posting. It's pretty basic for now; as the site evolves new capabilities will be added.