- Updated to Spring Framework 4
- Updated to Hibernate 5
- Updated to Jetty 9.3.5
- Converted from JSP to Thymeleaf
- Updated compiler settings to Java 8
Most of these changes should be invisible to casual users. The biggest changes were made to allow the use of HTTP/2 on this site (once I switch to using HAProxy 1.6 instead of Apache as a reverse proxy).
I am currently converting a few other sites which are also hosted here to supporting HTTP/2. Once that is completed, I will be able to run the entire infrastructure over secure HTTP/2. In addition, I am testing out Docker based deployments of all the site components. More details to come.
- New feature: Gravatar avatar images on comments and article postings
- Started adding ajax calls for admin tasks -- finished comment approval / disapproval / deletion
- New Feature: Allow articles to be closed for commenting.
This should hopefully reduce the amount of time I spend cleaning up after spammers. I have started with closing comments for anything older than 30 days. This should at least let me concentrate on page 1 and not have to go back to older stuff.
- Completed migration to Spring MVC 3.2
- Converted data access to Spring Data JPA
- Updated to new randomcoder-taglibs version (supports Spring Pageable implementation)
- Built against Java 7
- Convert unit tests to JUnit 4
- Expand unit test coverage
- Update source to take advantage of Java 7 features
- Refactor data access methods and entities to minimize N+1 selects
- Finally converted security from the truly ancient ACEGI to Spring Security 3.1. The configuration is much simpler now.
- Began migration to Spring MVC 3.2; roughly one third of the controllers are complete.
- Updated to Hibernate 4.2. This is a temporary stop on the way to using JPA and Spring Data.
- Removed the old Hibernate OpenSessionInView pattern. Unfortunately this required wrapping almost all data calls with Hibernate.initialize() due to lazy collections. Another TODO...
- Hosting site on Jetty instead of Tomcat now.
- Moved to using HTTPS throughout the entire site.
- Removed CardSpace support.
This is the first code update in a while... New in this release:
- Moved all code repositories to Git. These can be browsed via GitHub.
- Updated Download module and Links section to reflect new locations for all resources.
- Updated the site to Maven 3. There was some significant bitrot in the codebase that needed to be cleared up to get this working.
Other upcoming changes include:
- Move from deployment as a Tomcat WAR file to a standalone app embedding Jetty. This should result in faster restart times and decreased resource utilization.
- Remove CardSpace support as it has been deprecated by Microsoft for some time now and never really gained wide adoption.
- Update libraries to more current versions. For example, update to Spring 3.2 (using 2.0 currently).
- Move to using HTTPS throughout the entire site.